! Important: Before using this website, please read this notice
The Wayback Machine - https://web.archive.org/web/20120407210003/http://www.searchengineoptimising.com:80/glossary/glossary-of-computer-and-internet-terms/buffer
Home arrow SEO Resources arrow Glossary

SEO Newsletter

SEO Newsletter

Receive HTML?

Glossary of Computer and Internet Terms
A glossary of computer and Internet terms with definitions that are easy to understand.
Glossary Search:

Begins with Contains Exactly matches
View Glossary
Submit Term


Buffer is the term used to describe a method of holding a tiny amount of data before it is needed, and it is usually held in the computer's RAM. The best example of this is when you want to watch a video clip on the Internet the buffer will hold the first 15-20% of the video and then begin to play it. The remaining 75-80% of the video will load as it plays allowing for reduced stalling or skipping.